Currently there are around 800,000 people in the UK who have dementia and the number is expected to rise to one million by 2021. This programme is designed to help learners develop their knowledge and understanding of dementia and the principles of caring for people with the condition. It covers areas such as person-centred care, the influence of positive communication methods, issues relating to the use of medication in dementia care and the importance of providing appropriate and meaningful activities for people with dementia.
By following this programme, learners will be able to develop their knowledge of the different forms of dementia and gain an appreciation of taking a person-centred approach to dementia care and support. By introducing issues surrounding equality, diversity and inclusion that are fundamental to person-centred care, the qualification will enable learners to recognise the individual needs and preferences of people in their care. The programme will raise awareness of the differing communication needs and abilities of people with dementia and the ways in which care providers can improve well-being through positive interactions. It will also provide an insight into the administration of medication to those who may have specific needs because of their dementia. Employers, particularly in the care sector, will also benefit if their staff complete the programme as they will have a greater understanding of the condition, increasing their professional confidence and enabling them to be competent when supporting individuals with dementia.
The Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care comprises three concise module workbooks which combine the following units:
- Unit 01: Dementia awareness
- Unit 02: The person-centred approach to the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Unit 03: Understand the factors that can influence the communication and interaction with individuals who have dementia
- Unit 04: Understand equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia care
- Unit 05: Understand the administration of medication to individuals with dementia using a person-centred approach
- Unit 06: Understand behaviour in the context of dementia
- Unit 07: Understand the benefits of engaging in activities in social care
Each unit contains activities and assessments designed to cover the specific learning outcomes.