There are around 700,000 people on the autism spectrum in the UK – that’s more than 1 in 100. According to the National Autistic Society, if you include their families, autism is a part of daily life for 2.8 million people. In fact, in the last thirty years the number of people diagnosed with autism has increased 25 fold. This is because of a general increased awareness of autism, improved diagnosis and the inclusion of a wider range of forms of autism, such as Asperger syndrome. This increased awareness has led to many improvements. There are now many fantastic examples of well-informed, inclusive and empowering environments that enable individuals with autism to thrive. However, individuals with autism and their families continue to face many problems and challenges, and these need to be tackled.
This qualification is designed for learners who wish to develop an understanding of autism and how to support individuals with autism. It is useful for learners who provide direct support and those working in sectors such as: health and social care; education and training, and nursing. It will also be useful to those who support a family member or friend with autism.
The Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Autism comprises six mandatory units that are presented in three concise module workbooks:
- Unit 01: Introduction to autism
- Unit 02: Using a person-centred approach to support individuals with autism
- Unit 03: Communication and social interaction in individuals with autism
- Unit 04: Sensory processing, perception and cognition in individuals with autism
- Unit 05: Supporting positive behaviour in individuals with autism
- Unit 06: Supporting individuals with autism to live healthy and fulfilled lives
- Each unit contains activities and assessments designed to cover the specific learning outcomes.