Woman's outturned hands covered in mehndi

Can't decide whether you are the arty or sciencey type and don't want to be confined by either definition? If so, unleash your problem solving and design solutions through a few career ideas where you can make the most of both your art and science skills and fulfil both your passions. 

Medical Illustrator

A medical illustrator is someone who is a professional artist with advanced education in both the life sciences and visual communication. The are four specialist areas in medical illustration: clinical photography; graphic design; medical art; and videography; only one of which you'll be employed in. Using your expertise you'll produce materials such as photography and other graphic images for use in patient care, education and teaching. You'll work as part of the healthcare team, with doctors, nurses, scientists and other professionals involved in delivering patient care. Alongside hospitals, you might also work in medical schools, research institutes and specialist publishers. 

You'll need a relevant qualification in the area you want to pursue, and there are various university courses that can provide you with the necessary qualifications.

Industrial Designer 

Industrial designers work with other professionals in designing ideas for clients and turning those ideas into new manufactured products such as cars, home appliances and toys. They combine art, business, and engineering to make products that people use every day and focus on the user experience in creating style and function for a particular gadget or appliance. To become a industrial designer you need to have an undergraduate degree in industrial design, architecture, or engineering, as well as a knowledge of sketching, computer-aided design and drafting (CADD), industrial materials and processes, and manufacturing methods. 

Data Visualisation Specialist 

A data visualisation specialist presents large amounts of information in ways that are universally understandable or easy to interpret and spot patterns, trends and correlations. These representations include charts, graphs, infographics and other pictoral diagrams. Data visualisation analysts use visualisation tools and software to communicate information in these ways, for clients or for their own company.

To become a data visualisation specialist you normally need a degree in a subject that develops your analytical skills, such as maths, statistics or computer science, although a few data analyst apprenticeships are also available.


An architect is someone who designs new buildings, extensions or alterations to existing buildings and advises on the restoration and conservation of old properties. They are involved in construction projects from the earliest stages right through to completion. To call yourself an 'architect' you'll need to have spent at least seven years in training and higher education including complete a degree at one of 38 schools of architecture recognised by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) and the Architects Registration Board (ARB). 

You need to have strong visual awareness and an eye for detail alongside good drawing skills, with the ability to work in three dimensions. You'll also have to be able to use computer-aided design software.

Games Designer

Games designers create new computer games and define the way the game is played and the 'game experience'. Designing may include characters, levels, puzzles, art and animation. To become a games developer you don't need any specific qualifications, however experience within the games industry helps, for example being a tester. A qualification in any one of the following subjects may also increase your chances: animation, computer games development or design, computer science, graphic design, interactive media, maths, multimedia design and physics.{eluceoshare}


Archaeologists study past human activity by excavating, dating and interpreting objects and sites of historical interest. They implement excavation projects at historical sites and collect data that informs their understanding of the past. An undergraduate degree in archaeology is generally needed for entry-level archaeology positions, such as field assistant, surveyor or museum technician. It's likely that you'll be employed by local authorities, national organisations such as English Heritage, museums or commercial developers. 

Eluceo Logo