Once you know which subject you want to study, you might want to start thinking about what type of degree you want to do. Most students study a bachelor's degree with honours but there are a few different options out there.

White stacks of books in Cornell University Library

Joint Honours:

Most universities give students the opportunity to study a joint honours degree, especially if they want to take a modern language. Joint honours allows you to combine two different subjects and graduate with more than just the one degree. They are a brilliant way to study as they give you an in-depth knowledge of two different fields of study and for this reason employers look upon them favourably.

You will be most likely to do joint honours if you study a humanities, arts or social sciences degree, and a language.  


Integrated Master’s:

It is becoming more and more common for students to apply for a degree with an integrated master’s, particularly in subjects in the sciences or engineering. These courses are four years long and following them, you would graduate with a master’s. You can apply directly through UCAS for a four-year integrated master’s and you are required to obtain a certain grade to continue onto the programme (often 60%), with the first two years in line with the bachelor’s programme and the final two years involving more specialised study. The up sides of studying like this are that you get to avoid applying for master’s during your final year, you can access the undergraduate loan system and you can stay at the university where you already have good relationships with fellow students and members of staff.


Degree with a Year Out:

There are lots of different options for students to spend either a year in an industry related to their course or a year studying in a partner university abroad. Often these years out are integrated into the degree programme, meaning you have to decide whether you want to do one when you apply and you’ll see this option on your UCAS form. To find out more about the benefits of studying abroad or doing an industrial placement, see our guide.


Return to Choosing a Degree