Image Credit: Leeroy/

SEN refers to special educational needs and it is also sometimes referred to as SEND (special educational needs and disability). Some children have needs or disabilities that affect their ability to learn at school. These may include:

  • behavioural/social (e.g. difficulty making friends)
  • reading and writing (e.g. dyslexia)
  • understanding things
  • concentrating (e.g Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
  • physical needs or impariments

If your child has been identified as having one of these special educational needs you'll be referred to the 'SEN coordinator' or 'SENCO' at your school, nursery or college. Their job is to support your child so that he or she can progress in their learning and personal development and their assistance might include:

  • liasing with a teacher or assistant so your child can gain extra help 
  • letting your child work in smaller groups
  • a special learning programme
  • support with physical and persona care difficulties, such as eating 
  • helping your child communicate with others
  • offering your child encourangement in their learning

If your child has been diagnosed with special educational needs and you want to find out more about it, we've details on the most common disorders and disabilities, while we also suggest resources to help them learn. Depending on the severity of your child's condition they might also be advised to attend a school dedicated to SEN pupils and we've listed these under our SEN schools section so you can find one in your local area. 

Click the button to accept the use of cookies as identified within the Privacy Policy. Accept