There are lots of things to consider when getting ready to go to University. Here is a timeline of all the things your son/daughter should be doing in the lead up; from 18 months before, until the very day they leave.
The preparation path for attending University
- May - September: Research Universities
- Use Eluceo to see what universities are out there, look at university websites and order university prospectuses.
- Attend a few open days.
- September - January: Apply through UCAS
- UCAS Deadlines:
- 15th October: Oxbridge, Medicine, Ventinary & Dental Science.
- 15th January: Most university courses.
- 14th March: Some Art & Design courses.
- UCAS Deadlines:
- January - March: Receiving your offers
- If they don't get any offers, they don't need to worry; they can add further choices through UCAS Extra.
- If they are lucky enough to receive lots of offers they can move on to ...
- March - May: Making a choice
- If they are still not sure about where they want to study, they should do a bit more research into their selected universities, understand what they want from their three years and attend visit days.
- Depending on when they received thier offer, they have to apply by a specific date:
- 31st March: reply by 4th May,
- 5th May: reply by 8th June,
- 8th June: reply by 23rd June.
- May/June: Sorting out your student loan
- This should be done as soon as possible - they do not even need to know where they will be studying to sort this out - but, depending on the country they live in, the deadline is in either May or June.
- June - July: Apply for Accomodation
- Depending on the university, the deadline dates vary; however once they have decided where they want to go its best to get their application in early.
- August: Results!!
- August/September: Getting ready
- Apply for a student bank account.
- Pack and buy anything that they might be missing.
- Sort of all those bits and bobs, such as contents insurance, train/plane tickets, register with your university, etc.
They've made it to university.
Good Luck and enjoy it.